Army chief Sir David Richards has ordered an independent review into allegations that officers were subjected to inappropriate sexual behaviour during their time at the Army.
The review, to be undertaken by the army’s chief of staff, has been set up to assess the conduct of the army in relation to allegations of sexual misconduct and discrimination against soldiers and civilians.
Sir David is expected to make the findings of the review public on Thursday, the army said in a statement.
An army spokesman said the review would include the military’s standards and practices, its governance and accountability, and its operational processes.
“We believe the findings will be of relevance to the current operational environment,” the spokesman said.
In an email to the BBC on Thursday night, a spokeswoman for the army told the BBC that the review was taking place “to assess the actions and culture of the Army as they relate to the allegations”.
Sir Michael Fallon, the defence secretary, said he was aware of the findings and would be making a statement on Thursday.
He also said he had spoken to the deputy chief of the general staff, Lt-Gen Simon Williams, and would make a statement as well.
Sir David, who is in charge of overseeing the army, is also overseeing a review into sexual harassment and misconduct in the military, including the alleged mistreatment of soldiers.
Last week, the UK government said it had received reports that up to 40 British servicemen and women were sexually harassed by soldiers in Afghanistan, Iraq and the US.
One of the reports was sent to the defence chiefs in August, the BBC reported, citing the source.
A spokesperson for the US army said it was aware that a report had been sent to its chief of defence staff, General John Allen, and was responding to it.
“We are aware of these reports and are responding to them, but have not received them,” the spokesperson said.