By Steve Holland US forces in the Middle East are being urged to install a system to monitor cyberattacks, which could be used to detect potential threats to American troops and the military’s ability to counter them.
In an op-ed published on Thursday, the US Defense Department’s Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO) called for the creation of a cyber command that would be tasked with detecting and countering cyber attacks on US military operations.
The ODNI is the Pentagon’s chief information officer and is charged with developing cyber strategy, assessing risks to US operations, and overseeing the development of cyber security policies and practices.
Its proposal to create the Cyber Command was first floated in May and included a list of military departments and units to be subject to the agency’s jurisdiction.
“The department has asked for the input of a team of cyber experts who have experience in the areas of cyber warfare, network and information warfare, cybersecurity, and cyber operations, according to a release from the office.
In addition, the ODNI wants to examine how best to implement existing cyber operations plans to strengthen the US Cyber Command’s ability and capabilities to counter cyber threats, according the release.
OPINION: US cyber warfare may have reached its limits as the world’s most aggressive state-sponsored actor, but there is still plenty to learn Byron Hurd, ODNI deputy chief of operations, said in the ODI’s proposal that the Cyber Commander would be responsible for the development and execution of cyber operations and training programs.
Cyber attacks are increasingly becoming a serious threat to the US national security, especially as they threaten critical infrastructure. “
We will be guided by the best cyber threats that are emerging, and we will work closely with our allies to assess and mitigate those threats,” he said.
Cyber attacks are increasingly becoming a serious threat to the US national security, especially as they threaten critical infrastructure.
Last month, the State Department released a report saying that cyberattacks were “a major challenge to the security of US national infrastructure” and “threatened to undermine the integrity of the US democratic process”.
Last year, the NSA was forced to resign after it admitted to spying on foreign leaders including the Russian president, Putin, and the US ambassador to the UN.
US defence and intelligence officials have said they have found more than 200 attacks against the US homeland that were not linked to China, Russia or North Korea.
But there are concerns that the military has been understaffed to deal with these threats.
Hackers have attacked the Pentagon in recent years, including the 2014 attack on the USS Cole, which killed 17 US sailors.
And last year, hackers successfully breached the US Navy’s cyber defences and were able to steal information about nearly 4,000 military personnel, including senior officers.
Military chiefs have also said that there is a growing number of cyber attacks targeting the US financial system, which they fear could be exploited to steal money from the military.
A US defence official told Reuters news agency in September that there were nearly 50 cyberattacks on the US Department of Homeland Security and US Central Command last year.
On Thursday, a senior Pentagon official said the US was taking steps to help its military combat the rise of the cyber threat.
Gen Robert Work, the commander of the American military’s cyber warfare division, said the military had been working on a cyber strategy for more than a decade and had increased its cyber readiness and preparedness to handle the increasing threat.
“As we have demonstrated in the past, cyber capabilities can be used by anyone, anywhere to compromise and disrupt our infrastructure and information, disrupt our ability for us to do our jobs and, if necessary, even disrupt our own people,” Work said in a statement.
Work also said the Pentagon was reviewing how it should use its cyber command to coordinate and respond to the increasing threats to the military and the national security of the United States.
‘This is an unprecedented situation’The ODIO’s proposal comes as the US has been plagued by a spate of cyberattacks.
Earlier this year, a hacker dubbed “Guccifer” claimed responsibility for a string of attacks on federal agencies, including a breach at the Department of Energy that resulted in the theft of $US3.5 billion ($4.5bn) in funds.
Another cyber attack against the Pentagon earlier this month, which involved the theft and destruction of documents from a computer network at the Office of Personnel Management, was attributed to the same hacker.
According to the ODIO, the number of malicious cyberattacks in 2017 was more than double the same year in 2016, which led to a budget shortfall of $2.9 billion ($3.1bn) and the closure of US facilities.
Some analysts have suggested that the increase in attacks may have been caused by the election of Donald